Deutsche Bahn Group (DB Group) is a leading supplier of mobility and logistical services with a clear focus on rail transport in Germany. Its headquarters are in Berlin. About 340,000 employees are employed by DB Group, including over 200,000 in the integrated rail system. By integrating transport and rail infrastructure, as well as through the economically and environmentally intelligent linking of all modes of transport, we move both people and goods.
DB Group largely consists of the integrated rail system and the two major international subsidiaries DB Schenker and DB Arriva.
Our integrated rail system includes our passenger transport activities in Germany, our rail freight transport activities, the operating service units and the rail infrastructure companies (RIC) in Germany.
- In passenger transport, we transport more than seven million people each day on our trains and buses in the integrated rail system.
- In rail freight transport, our network carries more than 230 million tons of freight each year.
- At about 33,000 km, our rail network in Germany is Europe’s longest and we are also one of Germany’s largest energy suppliers.
The major international subsidiaries DB Schenker and DB Arriva expand the service portfolio:
- DB Arriva transports over six million passengers per day throughout Europe by train and bus.
- DB Schenker transports over 100 million shipments on the road, about 1.2 million tons of air freight and almost 2.3 million TEU of ocean freight per year.
With the new strong rail strategy DB Group is focusing on the business operations of the integrated rail system. Given the importance of Strong Rail for Europe, Europe will continue as the field of action for DB Group in the future. Major international subsidiaries such as DB Schenker and DB Arriva will in the future be measured for their contribution to Strong Rail. Strategically relevant subsidiaries such as DB Schenker will therefore continue to be held as financial investments. Subsidiaries without strategic relevance will be reviewed.
Deutsche Bahn AG (DBAG) is the parent company of DB Group. It has been a stock corporation under German law since it was founded in 1994 and accordingly has a dual management and control structure comprising a Management Board and a Supervisory Board. It is wholly owned by the Federal Republic of Germany (Federal Government).
DB Group offers attractive, customer-focused and environmentally friendly mobility, transport and logistics solutions and networks from a single source. We use the possibilities of digital technologies, to improve our operational and administrative processes, to constantly further develop offers for the customer, to integrate new services, and to simplify the customer interface. Our customers are individuals, business customers and contracting organizations in local and regional transport.
The integrated rail system is at the heart of our business activities. In addition, we are gradually expanding our business portfolio in the area of mobility and logistics in order to meet our customers’ needs more effectively and respond to new market demands.
- Our passenger transport business activities are broadly diversified. In addition to bus and rail transport, this also includes intelligent links with other modes of transport such as cars and bicycles, but also with new forms of mobility that complement the core business and enable doorto-door mobility. We offer long-distance rail passenger transport within Germany and into neighboring countries. DB Arriva has a Europe-wide presence in regional and local transport.
- Our business activities in the freight transport and logistics market were moved to an international platform very early on. DB Cargo and DB Schenker operate first and foremost in the business-to-business segment. We offer our customers industry-specific solutions in rail freight, in land transport, in global air and ocean freight as well as contract logistics. Covering all relevant modes of transport allows us to offer complex combined logistics services and to make use of synergies in our networks for the benefit of our customers.
There are five key success factors in the development of DB Group, which are a central component of DB Group’s business model:
- Corporate social responsibility: As a provider of mobility and logistics solutions, DB Group has a great deal of responsibility. As the backbone of green and networked mobility, rail plays a key role: it helps to achieve set climate targets, it promotes peoples’ integration and quality of life, and it strengthens the business location as well as Europe’s people and economy. We are consistently focusing our business operations on achieving strong rail and prioritizing our activities along the valueadded chain.
- Entrepreneurial approach to business: In the course of the German rail reform in 1994, DB Group established itself as a commercial enterprise.
- Integrated Group: As a system integrator in Germany, we serve as an important driving force for technological innovation. The integrated Group structure enables us to achieve positive synergies and align our infrastructure to support efficiency, market orientation and profitability. The digitalization of rail can only be successfully developed and implemented in the integrated rail system. Thanks to the economically, environmentally and technologically intelligent links between different modes of transport, we offer our customers door-to-door mobility and logistics solutions from a single source.
- Europe as the field of action: As the geographical and economic heart of Europe, Germany has a special responsibility for the future of the continent. Given the importance of Strong Rail for Europe, Europe will continue as the field of action for DB Group in the future. In order to take into account the customersʼ need for cross-border solutions, we continue to position ourselves at European level with our passenger transport activities. Due to the European and worldwide orientation of our freight transport and logistics activities, we offer our customers the access they need to global networks.
- Digitalization: DB Group uses the technologies and methods of digitalization to offer customers an attractive range of products. This means, on the one hand, that we are incorporating new transport offers into our product portfolio, such as on-demand mobility and establishing new platforms for our customer interfaces. On the other hand, we support our internal processes with technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), so that we can continue to offer customers a reasonable price level with efficient processes.